Lynden Dutch Bakery has been featured on King 5 as part of the Best Northwest Escape series.
Well-known TV presenter Michael King was in Lynden and stopped outside the Lynden Dutch Bakery to sample “poffertjes”, traditional Dutch cakes that the bakery were cooking there and then in the street.
Whenever Lynden Dutch Bakery set up their outdoor stand to cook hot poffertjes, the mouth-watering aroma draws hungry customers within minutes.
Tim of Lynden Dutch Bakery says: “What gives our poffertjes their unique taste is root beer, but don’t tell anyone that, it’s a secret.”
The show went on air on May 4th and has already attracted considerable attention to Lynden Dutch Bakery, who as a result have seen many customers asking for poffertjes, as well as the many other traditional Dutch bakery products and sandwiches they make fresh every day.
The feature can be viewed on King 5′s web site:
(The feature about Lynden Dutch Bakery begins at around 1:00 into the movie)
The Lynden Dutch Bakery is located on Front Street in Lynden, WA, and are open Monday to Saturday. You can now order online; just go to:
- 200 g flour
- 40 g butter or 40 g margarine
- 350 ml milk
- 8 g yeast
- 2 g salt
- Heat the milk until lukewarm.
- Mix the salt with the flour and make a well in the middle.
- Mix the yeast with a little lukewarm milk and pour this into the well, together with 2/3 of the rest of the milk.
- Stir to a thick, smooth batter. Add the rest of the lukewarm milk (keep stirring!).
- Cover the batter with a dampened cloth and leave in a warm place (for instance on a radiator) for 1 hour.
- Grease a special poffertjes pan with butter.
- Fill each of the “wells” of the pan with some of the batter and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- We enjoy them served with butter, icing sugar and then a little maple syrup, that’s how they serve them here in Lynden. yummmm.